Home > APFP > Joining the Programme > Frequently Asked Questions
African Paediatric Fellowship Programme

Frequently Asked Questions


  • What to consider before your arrive in Cape Town

    Have I been vaccinated?  |  Have I secured accommodation?  |  Have I contacted my UCT supervisor?  |  Have I collected my reimbursement receipts? | |  Have I acquired medical aid? |  Have I submitted my MPS application?  |  Have applied to UCT?

    Have I secured additional funding to supplement the bursary that I will receive?

    These are living expenses which you can expect to incur on a monthly basis while living in Cape Town.


    Rent R6500

    The cost of rent will vary according to the type of accommodation you secure.  Please note that the UCT administrators do not have the capacity to search for and secure accommodation for you. The onus, therefore, lies on the fellow to secure their own accommodation.

    Note that some places may cost more or less. Upfront damages deposit. Equivalent to 1 months' rent will be required in addition to your first months' rent. This deposit is refundable, after deductions (if any), at the end of the lease period.

    Living Expenses R4500 Living expenses include electricity, local telephone, off campus internet access/Wi-Fi, lunch (meals while at work), clothing, saloon, laundry, cleaning and toiletries. This is an estimate but I believe that this can be significantly higher. All fellows have said that they find Cape Town to have an extremely high cost of living. Items such as mobile phone services (which are extremely useful, highly recommended but can be significantly costly compared to other countries). Electricity cost is particularly high.
    Groceries R2500  
    Transport R1500 Transport may include costs to other hospitals or facilities outside Red Cross hospital where your department or unit may require you to undertake training sessions or clinical work.
    Sundries R2000  
    Admin R1000 Admin includes any books, stationery or admin related expenses you might incur.
    Medical Aid R370p/m

    All Foreign students registering with the University of Cape Town are required to provide proof of medical aid cover (i.e. a membership letter for the current year). This payment is a once-off upfront annual payment.

    Details of this membership is found at Ingwe Health


    There are many additional expenses to consider. These are some of the additional expenses that you might incur:

    • Car hire or car purchase, holiday trips undertaken, etc.
    • If you are moving into an unfurnished flat you need to consider all of the necessities that you need to purchase to furnish the flat.
    • Even if you are moving into a furnished flat, the flat may not have electrical appliances, internet and DSTV/Pay TV access (for those who need it).
    • Our winters are very cold. You will need to make provision for warm clothing as well as appliances (room heaters) and bedding to make yourself comfortable at home.

    There may be other costs that we have not considered but we believe that this is a comprehensive list of financial commitments.

    Have I ensured that I have been vaccinated?

    The following recommendations have been integrated into a Red Cross Children’s Hospital Vaccine policy:

    Vaccine Type Who should be immunised
    Hepatitis B     Clinical Personnel
    Hepatitis A Clinical Personnel
    Tetanus Toxoid         During an Injury on Duty (when medically indicated)
    Flu Vaccine Employees (Voluntary)
    Measles All employees who are going to be in contact with patients 
    Mumps All employees who are going to be in contact with patients 
    Rubella All employees who are going to be in contact with patients
    Chicken Pox  All employees

    All employee who are going to be in contact with patients If the
    employee has not had a recent booster (in the last 10 years)
     and who is then exposed to a patient with the disease.


    Cape Town is not a malaria area.  Malaria risk in South Africa is confined to the north eastern parts of the country (the Lowveld of Mpumalanga and Limpopo and on the Maputaland coast of KwaZulu-Natal). 

    Have I secured my accommodation?

    Please note that the UCT administrators do not have the capacity to search for and secure accommodation for you. The onus, therefore, lies on the fellow to secure their own accommodation. 

    Have I been in contact with my UCT training supervisor?

    Please ensure that you stay in contact with your UCT training supervisor prior to your training. There may be good reading material that the supervisor will suggest. This communication is also good for both parties to air their expectations of the training and to start discussing possible research projects.

    Have I collected all of my receipts for my reimbursements?

    Please remember that UCT will only accept ORIGINAL paperwork/receipts. No photocopies will be accepted. 

    What will be considered as original receipts:

    If you paid via EFT then it will be the EFT confirmation. If you paid by credit card then it will be the credit card confirmation slip or credit card statement. If you paid in cash it will have to be a receipt or letter confirming that you paid in cash. If you deposit it directly into a bank account then it will have to be the original bank deposit slip. Unfortunately, any “Application for funds transfer” will not be accepted. It will need to be an original document issued by the bank indicating that the funds have actually transferred into the given account.  

    Have I submitted the first draft of my reflective summary?

    The APFP admin team would’ve been in contact with you with the Reflective Summary aka the Long Essay which needs to be completed by each APFP fellow. Please ensure that the first draft of your reflective summary is submitted at least 1 month prior to the start of your fellowship period. 

    Have I acquired medical aid?

    Please note that acquiring Medical Aid is the responsibility of the fellow. The most affordable and best medical aid option that we have for students is Ingwe. Please apply here.

    Have I submitted my Medical Protection Society (MPS) application form for processing?

    All fellows are required to have MPS protection. The APFP administration will send the application form to you. Once you have filled, signed and submitted the application form to APFP admin, MPS will send an invoice directly to you. Please email the invoice to APFP admin as payment will be processed on our end. This payment forms part of your APFP bursary.

    Have I applied to the University of Cape Town (UCT)? Have I sent my application number to the APFP administration?

    Please click here to submit an online application to UCT. This will ensure that your UCT registration process goes smoother. A couple of days after completing the online application process, you will be issued with an application number, e.g. AVRPET00. This application number is your student number. Please send me the email confirmation so that I can keep it on file.

    Please DO NOT PAY the application fee that is requested.

  • Bringing your family

    Funding  |  Accommodation  |  Utilities  | Childcare  | Schools  |  Healthcare  | Cost of Living | Food  | Transport 


    APFP is not responsible for funding your family members and their requirements.  


    Accommodation in areas around Red Cross and Groote Schuur Hospitals (e.g. Rondebosch, Claremont, Rose Bank and Observatory) is expensive (refer to section above for cost) but quite accessible. There are schools in each of these areas making it easier for you and your family. 


    There’s a shopping mall in every area with a number of eating places.  House commodities including reasonable furniture can be bought from Mr Price Home, Wool Worth’s Home etc. depending on taste. Transporting furniture back home can be expensive and most people end up selling stuff before leaving (reasonable transporting companies include U-bag).

    Entertainment for the kids is found in malls and others may include Ratanga Junction in Century City, Grand West casino for ice skating and games, theme parks etc.  


    Most people would rather pay for creche or aftercare at the school to help look after the kids. Hired child care is expensive and comes with issues of trust. You have to know and trust your would be nanny. The other option is to apply for a visa for a relative to help with child care at the time you are applying for your family. 


    There are a variety of schools for children in Cape Town.  You will require to bring along the Childs’ identification with the visa, last school report, a transfer letter and proof of medical aid/insurance to be able to apply to any school. The School will want to get in touch with the children’s former school to be able to establish your school fees payment patterns. Children in Cape Town start school at 7 years of age and your children may be taken back to the class with the appropriate age.
    Places in government schools are hard to find and you might end up putting your child in a private school.  


     A valid medical aid/insurance will be required for your any of your family members to be seen by a doctor. Cash consultations (minimum R400) are usually expensive and so are the medications. 

    Cost of living

    Life is expensive in Cape Town. Coming with family is an extra expense but comes with its benefits. Before you come, make sure you have extra savings to help with the settling down especially for rent and school fees. Both come with a month’s deposit. 


    Prices of food varies depending on your preference and type of store. Some reasonable food prices are in chain stores like Pick’n Pay, Spar, checkers and Woolworths.


    It is more convenient to have a car as this makes movements much easier. Public taxis may not reach certain places and booking cabs may not be sustainable. It costs R10/km in a cab.

  • About your APFP Fellowship

     What does APFP expect from me?  |  What qualifications will I leave with?  |  What will APFP pay during my training? |  How will the stipend payments be disbursed?  | Uploading of my banking details? Will I pay income tax?  |  How many leave days am I eligible for?


    What does the APFP expect from me?

    Please consult your APFP contract for details on the clinical activities that you will be involved in. Clinical activities differ from department to department so your UCT training supervisor will provide more detail on this. Do not forget to consult with your training supervisor prior to the commencement of your training period. 

     As part of your training you will be an integral part of your department working under your training supervisor.

    • You will have 3-monthly formal assessments with your training supervisor. These assessments will be forwarded to your home supervisor so please ensure that APFP has the details of this supervisor at the time of your first assessment.
    • You should remain in contact with your referring centre to update them of the skills you have achieved and to check that you are still on track to achieve your training goals.
    • There are times when the funders pay a visit to Red Cross Hospital. The funders love to meet with the fellows so we will expect you to join in on any of these meetings.
    • It will help greatly if you could assist with orientating new fellows. You will recognise the need for this support when you first arrive in Cape Town.
    • Once during your fellowship period we will ask you to take part in a photo shoot. APFP relies on these photos for publicity, our Facebook page and promotional material. The photo shoot won’t take up much of your time. We will just need a head & shoulder shot and a couple of action shots of you interacting with a patient/s.
    • The APFP relies solely on donor funding. We will at times require you to assist with completing funding applications. 
    What qualifications do I leave with when I complete my training? 

    This depends on which programme that you have chosen. You will either leave with the Masters qualification providing that the full specialised training time is completed, the dissertation component of the qualification has been completed and the exit exam has been passed) To achieve the PG Diploma, you will need to complete the full specialised training time and the reflective summary aka the long essay has been completed. One year trainees who do not undertake a PG diploma will leave with a certificate of completion which the APFP issues. This certificate will highlight the skills that you have achieved. 

    If you plan to sit for a specific sub-speciality College of Medicine exam, you will receive the relevant certificate, once passed, of course.

    What will the APFP pay for during my training? 

    The APFP Bursary is designed to supplement the applicants’ own funding incurred during the training period. The following university, affiliation and additional costs will be covered by the APFP:

    • A monthly stipend (which forms part of the total bursary)
    • UCT Tuition fees
    • International Academic Programmes Office (IAPO) fees, i.e. International student fee levy
    • Registration and annual fees for the Health Professional Council of South Africa (HPCSA) 
    • Professional Indemnity Insurance (MPS)
    • International Credentials Services (EICS)/Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG®) documents verification payment
    • Return ticket
    • Study permit application fee
    • Courier costs (there is a limited budget available for this)
    • Certificate of good standing payment
    • Notary Public fees (there is a limited budget available for this)
    • In addition, APFP operating and administrative costs are paid by APFP.
    How will the stipend payments be disbursed? 

    APFP will always pay your stipend a month ahead of time, i.e. You will receive your April payment at the end of March. You can only receive your first bursary payment – via your bank account – once the full UCT registration process is complete, i.e. you are fully registered with UCT. This registration process is a lengthy process and can take between 1½ - 2 months.

    The onus lies on the fellow to open a South African bank account. 

    It is imperative that you plan accordingly. Please ensure that you have sufficient savings available to carry you for at a month and a half, i.e. until administrative processes is completed.

    Will APFP upload my banking details on Peoplesoft?

    In order for your bursary to be paid directly into your bank account, you will be required to upload your banking details onto the UCT database system (Peoplesoft).

    Please follow the following steps:

    1. Go to the following link
    2. Enter your student number in User ID, i.e.AVRDUP001 and password.
    3. Once you are logged in you will see a SELF SERVICE link on the left hand side. Click on this link. You'll find the bank Account details link under CAMPUS PERSONAL INFORMATION. Click on the bank account details link. Read through the terms and conditions. Accept. 

    Enter your banking details accurately as UCT cannot be held responsible if the money goes into the wrong bank account.

    Will I be liable to pay income tax?

    The APFP fellows are exempt from paying income tax.

    How many leave days will I be eligible to take?

    The fellow is permitted to be absent from the program for a maximum of twenty-two days per year, provided that this is on prior agreement with their training supervisor and on one month’s written notice thereof being given to the APFP administrator.

    Please ensure that you submit a fully completed leave form to the APFP administrator 1 month prior to taking the leave.

  • About Cape Town

    Telephones |  Electricity  | Cape Town weather | Getting around Cape Town |  Staying safe |  In case of an accident |  Student affairs | Languages |  Public Holidays in Cape Town | Safe drinking water | Cape Town street children and beggars





    Electricity/Voltage in Cape Town 

    The voltage throughout South Africa is 220V/50hz. Most plugs are 15 amp 3-prong or 5 amp 2-prong, in both cases with round pins. If you're bringing anything electrical, bring an adapter. Adaptors can be bought at the airport on your arrival.

    Cape Town weather

    As a coastal city in the temperate band of the Southern Hemisphere, Cape Town enjoys mild and sunny Mediterranean-like weather almost all year round. It is also known, however, for rapid changes in weather, and locals joke that one can experience all four seasons in one day.

    Cape Town is never out of season, with a particularly good, long summer from November to March. These are the most popular months for visitors, who come to enjoy the 11 or more hours of sunshine every day. 


    The average summer temperature in Cape Town is 24.3 degrees Centigrade, with January and February temperatures averaging 26 degrees Centigrade. February is the driest month of the year, with 15 mm (0.6 inches) of rain.


    While Cape Town’s winters (June to August) can be stormy, they often produce perfectly temperate days, when you will find Capetonians gathered around fireplaces and dinner tables. June is the wettest month of the year, with 108 mm (4.3 inches) of rain. The average temperature during Cape Town’s winter season is between 7 and 20 degrees Centigrade. It’s not uncommon, however, to enjoy a week of sunshine and temperatures ranging between 21 and 26 degrees Celsius and there are never any frosty mornings.


    Average summer temperature: 24.3 ºC

    Average winter temperature: 18.5 ºC


    Average daily sunshine hours: Between 7.5 and 9.5 hours

    Average monthly temperature

    January / 26

    February / 27

    March / 25

    April / 23

    May / 20

    June / 18

    July / 18

    August / 18

    September / 19

    October / 21

    November / 24

    December / 25

    Getting around Cape Town

    As a registered UCT student, you will be able to make use of the Jammie Shuttle transport. All of the Jammie Shuttle routes are found at the following url: http://www.uct.ac.za/students/services/jammie/maps/ You may need to produce a UCT student card.

    Driving in South Africa

    Cape Town and the Western Cape have a well-maintained and well-signposted road network – and some of the most spectacular drives in the world. 

    South Africans drive on the lefthand side, and vehicles are right-hand drive. All distances, speed limits (and speedometers) are in kilometres. The general speed limit on major routes is 120 km/h (75 mph). On secondary roads, it is 100 km/h (60 mph). In builtup areas it is 60 km/h (35 mph), unless otherwise indicated. Wearing of seat belts is compulsory.

    Using hand-held phones while driving is against the law. Drinking and driving is dealt with severely, and the blood alcohol limit for driving is 0,05 g per 100 mℓ (equivalent to one glass of wine, one tot of spirits, or one 500 mℓ beer).

    Any valid driver's licence is accepted, provided it bears the photograph and signature of the holder and is printed in English, or is a certified copy in English. Carry your licence with you at all times when driving. Any valid driver’s licence is accepted, provided it bears the photograph and signature of the holder and is printed in English.

    Travelling by bus

    To commute around the city centre and out to Table View, Blaauwberg and Parklands and the Atlantic Seaboard. You can catch the MyCiTi bus from various points. Please note that you will need to purchase a ‘myconnect’ bus card from the main station at the Civic Centre in Hertzog Boulevard or participating retailers in the area. For a full list please visit the MyCiTi website. The card costs R35 and you will need to load it with travel credit. 

    For more information about the MyCiti bus routes and prices:

    • Contact MyCiti on 800 65 64 63 (available 24/7) or visit the MyCiti website.

    Golden Arrow Bus Service is also a popular means of transport, used by the public. 

    While the railway system in Cape Town is mainly focused on commuter transport, The Southern Line Rail Route, which stretches from Cape Town to Simon’s Town, is highly recommended for visitors. The train stops at several beautiful suburbs and coastal villages along the way and is an affordable option.

    Travelling by train

    Rail forms the backbone of Cape Town’s well developed public transport system and is operated by Metrorail.

    The Southern Line Rail Route passes through Cape Town's leafy southern suburbs, which is home to the Newlands rugby and cricket stadiums, as well as the acclaimed Cavendish Square shopping centre. 

    Train tickets may be bought from the ticket offices at all stations for single or return trips. Daily, weekly and monthly tickets are also available. Tickets are checked at the beginning and end of each journey, and must be valid for each journey taken.

    Train travel does not always run on schedule, so it’s important to bear this in mind when planning a day out. As with train travel in most parts of the world, it is also important to be aware of potential pickpockets.

    Travelling by minibus taxi and metered taxi services

    Minibus taxis serve most areas on dedicated routes. The service, although unscheduled, runs frequently and conveniently with numerous pick-up and drop-off points along its routes. Some local knowledge is typically required to flag down the right vehicle for the desired destination. Payment with cash in local currency is upon boarding.

    Metered taxis operate from the airport, city centre and key nodes in accommodation and business areas. Taxis can be identified by a roof light or sign denoting ‘TAXI’. Fares have to be openly displayed on the vehicle and are calculated per kilometre travelled. Certain of these metered taxis are also able to accommodate wheelchairs. Check at the airport help desk or with your accommodation to arrange a metered taxi.

    Staying safe


    • Report lost passports and visas without delay to the South African Police Services (SAPS). They will give you a docket (case) number, which you will then need to take to your relevant consulate for help in obtaining a new or temporary passport.
    • Avoid carrying large sums of cash, don’t carry cameras in plain sight and do not leave belongings unattended.
    • Heed the advice of your hosts, Cape Town Tourism Visitor Centre staff or locals on where to go (and which places to avoid) after dark.
    • Try not to walk alone, and take special precautions at lonely lookout points, especially at dusk or at night.
    • Never allow strangers to assist you in any way at ATMs. . If your card gets stuck, immediately call that ATM’s helpline number
    • Street children and beggars may approach you for a handout. Many social workers counsel against giving money to the children as it is usually handed over to an older person or is used to purchase drugs. If you wish to do good, rather give food, donate your change to a registered charity, or contact Cape Town Tourism for advice.
    • At night, park in a secure, well-lit area with official street guards.
    • Keep photocopies of all valuable documents in a safe place.

    Staying safe outdoors

    Cape Town’s wealth of natural beauty is there to be enjoyed, but do take personal safety requirements into consideration.

    Safety on the mountain

    Table Mountain – and the Peninsula mountain chain – has many spectacular walks. In spite of the fact that it is surrounded by the city, it is a mountain wilderness area, and should be treated as such. The mountain is large, and the weather on top can be very different to the weather in the city.

    Should you wish to explore Table Mountain National Park on foot, make sure you take a good map, plenty of water, comfortable walking shoes, a few friends and a charged cellphone (mobile).

     Tell someone where you are going and when you expect to return. Be aware that not all mountain areas have mobile phone coverage.

    Weather on the mountain can change very rapidly. Take sunblock and something warm (and preferably waterproof) to wear.

    Head back well before dark, and keep to marked paths. If darkness or dense cloud falls, find a sheltered place and stay there. Someone will find you.

    Save the dedicated Table Mountain National Park emergency number on your mobile phone before you set out: +27 (0)861 106 417.

    Safety on the beaches and at sea

    The oceans around Cape Town are magnificent, but can be treacherous, with extremely strong currents. Keep to safe swimming areas, never swim alone, and do not swim beyond the breakers.

    The use of alcohol is illegal on all of Cape Town’s beaches, and could lead to prosecution.

    Do not light fires, except in designated areas.

    The African sun is fierce (even in winter) and can be very dangerous. Wear good-quality eye protection, a hat and sunscreen.

    Do not surf, paddle-ski or windsurf in poor weather conditions, poor visibility or at night.

    In case of an unfortunate accident:

    Emergency numbers

    • Police emergency Number (10111)
    • If you are using a mobile phone, call 112
    • National Ambulance Service (10177)

    It is recommended that you:

    • Go to the nearest safe and public place.
    • Call the Police emergency Number (10111) – It’s a free call from a telephone box or landline – and briefly explain what happened.
    • If you are using a mobile phone, call 112. Your call will be transferred to the appropriate emergency service.
    • If you have been injured, the call centre will dispatch an ambulance to take you to the nearest hospital. Alternatively, you can call the National Ambulance Service (10177).
    Student Affairs: Student Wellness Service

    Counselling services

    Who they are?

    They are a student counselling service, offering predominantly short-term counselling, with the aim of ensuring that whatever personal, emotional or psychological problems you experience, the impact of it on your academic studies are kept to a minimum and your capacity for achievement is optimised.

    Some of the problems for which the Counselling service can provide assistance with include:

    • adjusting to UCT
    • homesickness
    • loneliness
    • cultural transition
    • social skills
    • self-esteem issues
    • confidence building
    • individuation from parents
    • stress and anxiety
    • depression and suicidal feelings
    • loss and bereavement
    • trauma and crisis intervention
    • rape and sexual assault
    • HIV/AIDS counselling
    • sexual identity issues
    • addictions
    • academic problems including motivation and concentration
    • relationship issues
    • family problems
    • any other personal, emotional, social or psychological problem

    How are problems dealt with?

    The Counselling service offers mostly individual psychotherapy, but a psychologist may recommend that a student attends group therapy, which is an opportunity to work on problems in a confidential environment with peers. Furthermore, the psychologist may recommend that the student attends a skills-based group, which takes the form of developing of relevant life skills in a group setting. Referral of students to an appropriate agency can also be provided.


    While one of the most commonly spoken language in Cape Town is Afrikaans, English is most commonly understood. 

    Most signs and official communication are in English, or English and Afrikaans side by side. 

    But, as English is only one of South Africa’s 11 official languages, a strong vernacular has developed, and English-speaking visitors might have a hard time recognising some of the words. We’re a friendly bunch in Cape Town, so if you’re totally confused, just ask and we’ll have you speaking South African “now now”! 

    These are some common phrases and the translations to get you started:

    Welcome Welkom Siya namekela nonke
    Cape Town Kaapstad eKapa
    Good morning Goeie môre Molo/Molweni
    Goodbye Totsiens Hambe kahle
    Thank you Dankie Enkosi
    Yes Ja Ewe
    No Nee Hayi
    How much is this? Hoeveel kos dit? Yimalini?
    Expensive Duur iDhulu
    Hot Warm Shushu
    Cold Koud Banda
    Friend Vriend Umhlobo
    Good/Ok Lekker Kulungile
    Excuse me Skuus Uxolo
    How are you? Hoe gaan dit? Unjani? Kunjani?
    I'm fine thanks. And you Goed dankie. En met jou? Ndiphilile, wena unjani?
    What's your name? Wat is jou naam? Ngubani igama lakho?
    Igam lakho?
    My name is ... My naam is ... Igama Iam ngu ...


    South African Slang

    Capetonians have an amusing array of colloquial terms. Become one of us and throw in some South African slang.

    Slang Meaning
    Boet A term of affection, from the Afrikaans for "brother"
    Braai What you would know as a barbecue, and probably one of the first things you will be invited to do on arriving in Cape Town. We even celebrate national Braai Day on 24 September every year!
    Cooldrink   or colddrink   This is the common term for a soda. Ask for a soda in South Africa and you will receive a club soda.
    Eish (‘Aysh’) Zulu expression of surprise, bewilderment or shock.
    Howzit A traditional South African greeting that translates roughly as “How are you?” or “How are things?”
    Now now If a South African tells you they will do something “now now” they mean they will do it in the near future but not immediately and possibly not ever.
    Lekker (Pronounced ‘lekk-irr’ with a rolling ‘r’) Afrikaans word meaning nice. Also cool, good, great. Probably the most famous of South African words, so make sure you learn this one.
    Pavement South Africans walk on pavements and drive cars on the road. The pavement is the sidewalk.
    Robot South Africans tend to refer to traffic lights as robots. Sci-fi fans are out of luck – R2D2 and C3PO are not hanging about on every street corner.
    Rooibos Pronounced ‘roy-borrs’) A popular South African tea made from the Cyclopia genistoides bush. Rooibos is Afrikaans word meaning ‘red bush’. Come and try a Red Cappuccino made from Rooibos at the Cape Town Tourism City Centre Visitor Information Centre.


    Places of worship in Cape Town


    Common Ground Church 23 Milner Rd, Rondebosch 021 686 2970 http://commonground.co.za/
    St Paul's Church Church St, Rondebosch 021 689 4720 http://www.stpaulsrondebosch.co.za/
    St Thomas Church 61 Campground Rd, Rondebosch 021 685 6752 http://www.str.org.za/
    Rondebosch United Church Belmont Rd, Rondebosch 021 685 4793 http://www.rondeboschunited.org.za/
    St Patrick's Catholic Church Corner Durban & Campground Rds, Mowbray 021 686 6172  
    St Michaels Catholic Church Rouwkoop Rd, Rondebosch 021 686 8708 http://www.st-michaels.co.za/
    Methodist Church of South Africa Rosebank Main Rd, Rosebank 021 686 3271 http://rosebankmethodist.org.za/
    Mowbray Seventh-day Adventist (SdA) Church 10 Bollihope Cres, Mowbray 021 689 1789 http://www.mowbraysda.co.za/
    Mowbray Baptist Church 45 Main Rd, Mowbray 021 686 8652



    Masjid us Sunni Anglesey St, Rondebosch East  
    Masjidur Raghma Athlone St, Athlone 021 696 0017 


    Public holidays in South Africa



    1 JAN: New Year's Day


    21 MAR: Human Rights Day

    25 MAR: Good Friday

    28 MAR: Family Day (Easter Sunday)


    27 APR: Freedom Day


     1 MAY: Worker’s Day


     16 JUN: Youth Day


     9 AUG: National Women's Day


     24 SEP: Heritage Day


    16 DEC: Day of Reconciliation

    25 DEC: Christmas Day

    26 DEC: Day of Goodwill

    Safe drinking water

    Cape Town’s municipal tap (faucet) water has been rated as the best in the country. It is perfectly palatable and safe to drink directly from the tap. Bottled water is also widely available, but buying it is not entirely necessary (and presents a waste disposal problem). Locally produced bottled water (500 ml) should cost roughly R12, or slightly more if served in a restaurant.

    About beggars and street children

    Street children and beggars may approach you for a handout. The City of Cape Town and many social workers advise against giving money to children, as it is often handed over to an older person, or used to buy drugs. Rather give food, or donate money to a registered charity.

    The City’s community-partnered Street People Project (along with many other organisations) and ‘Give Responsibly’ campaign encourage people to buy support vouchers, which, rather than perpetuating a culture of dependency, provides structured assistance.

  • Money Matters

    Banking hours in South Africa

    Currency and foreign exchange

    The South African Rand (ZAR) is the local currency. The South African rand, represented by ‘R’ before an amount, or ‘ZAR’ after it.

    South African Rand (ZAR, or R0). 100 cents = R1.

    • Foreign exchange can be done at the airport as well as at all major banks.
    • Notes come in denominations of R10, R20, R50, R100 and R200; and coins come in 5c, 10c, 20c, 50c, R1, R2 and R5. There are two R5 coins in circulation, both of which are legal currency. All transactions are rounded down to the nearest 5c. Rand (ZAR). 100 cents equals one rand. 
    • A passport will be required for ALL transactions. Foreigners can claim sales tax refunds and should ask salesmen to fill out a tax refund form when purchasing any goods.
    • Cash machines, known locally as ATMs (automatic teller machines) accept most international bank and credit cards. You will find ATMs at many petrol stations and all large shopping centres.
    • South Africa has a modern and sophisticated banking and commercial system, and most shops and hotels accept all major credit cards.
    • VAT: South Africa has a Value Added Tax system of 14% on purchases and services. Foreign visitors can reclaim VAT on collective purchases of more than R250. 
    • Credit cards: Most shops and hotels accept all major credit cards.
    • South Africa has a value-added tax of 14% on purchases and services.
    • Restaurant gratuities: A 10% tip is suggested for good service, and for great service, 15% is appreciated. Some restaurants add a service charge for tables of more than eight people.
    Banking hours in South Africa

    08h30/09h00 - 15h30/16h00 Mon-Fri
    08h00/09h00 - 11h00/11h30/12h00 Sat

  • Arriving in Cape Town

    Airport transfer | Orientation | First day | ID Cards

    Air travel

    To book your eticket, the APFP admin team will need the following details:

    Passenger name and surname:  (please attach copy of passport)

    Departure date: 
    Airport of departure, Country:
    Arrival Airport, Country: Cape Town International, South Africa
    Preferred time of departure: day/night?
    Seat: Window/aisle?
    Dietary requirements:

    Return date:  
    Airport of departure, Country: Cape Town International, South Africa
    Arrival Airport, Country:
    Preferred time of departure: day/night?
    Seat: Window/aisle?
    Dietary requirements:

    The administrator will supply a flight estimate. Once you are happy with the flights, the flights will be booked and an eticket will be issued.

    Airport transfer

    Danny (our driver) will collect you at the airport and drop you off at your accommodation. Danny is a very reliable driver. 
    Chelsea Charter service CPT
    Contact: Danny Ncube
    Email: dannyncube4.dn@gmail.com 
    Cell: 073-719-7959

    APFP Orientation

    Please bring your reimbursement docs and original passport with you when you come for APFP orientation.

    Who do I meet with on my first day?

    You will meet with the APFP team at:
    Red Cross Children’s Hospital, Klipfontein Road, ICH Building
    2nd Floor, Room 2.19, Rondebosch 

    We will complete APFP admin with you and then take you to meet with your training supervisor. Your training supervisor will complete orientation re the department that you will be training in.

    ID cards

    During APFP orientation, you will be asked to sign two application form which will allow the APFP Administrator to apply for a Red Cross Hospital (RXH) access card and UCT Third party card for you. Once the RXH form has been completed, you will need to accompany the APFP Administrator to the Access Control Office so that the staff can take a photo which will appear on your access card.

    The UCT Third party card will arrive 1-2 weeks later. The RXH card will allow you access to specific departments in the hospital. The UCT card will allow you access to the 2nd floor, ICH building. 

  • Welcome to Red Cross Children's Hospital:  A Brief Guide!

    Other wards outside RXH | Clinics available and referral system l  Specialist clinics Multidisciplinary Clinics | How to admit a patient Investigations | Xrays and other radiology | Calls | Local areas | What do I do if I experience any form of discrimination in the workplace

    For those of you who have never worked at Red Cross before this is a brief guide to help you find your way around... 


    Ground Floor

    S12 - Triage and emergency outpatients ext 5075

    S11 - Short Stay Ward ext 5378

    A7 - Surgical day case (will take MRI patients sometimes) ext 5360

    Main Hospital - each floor is a letter! 

    B1 and B2 - 2 general medical wards (B1 - Infectious diseases ext 5051/5151, B2 – pulmonology ext 5052/5152)

    C1 - Intensive Care Unit ext 5317

    C2 - Burns ext 5048

    D1 - Neurosurgery, Opthalmology, Ortho ext 5049

    D2 - General surgery exr 5154

    E1 - Cardiology and Tracheostomy unit (also takes some ENT) ext 5125/5358

    E2 - Renal, Neurology, GIT, Allergy, Rheumatology ext 5053/5153


    Other wards outside RXH

    Victoria Hospital - paeds ward

    Somerset Hospital - Barclay and Ebden plus nursery

    Groote Schuur - G4 is Adolescents and G5 is paeds. Endocrine (diabetic) and general paeds 

    Mitchell’s Plain - paeds and neonates district level

    Clinics available and Referral systems

    S27 - Medical Outpatients (MOPD) includes Room 18 - registrar clinic for complex patients

    They will refer to us more than the other way around but you can phone Central Booking ext 5851 if you want a child to be seen in MOPD for eg. follow up of asthma or simple medical condition. Room 18 bookings via the S11 registrars. 

    Standard referrals are done on pink referral forms which are available in clinic - if in doubt write one to the person you are referring to! 


    Specialist Clinics 


    Allergy - S20. Call the allergy specialist registrar to discuss. They will either give you a date or ask you to phone ext 5022 to book. 

    Behaviour Clinic - Neuropsych at DCAP (Child and Family Unit). Own referral form to be faxed

    Cardiology - S27. Bookings ext 5300. Long wait - ensure child has had CXR and ECG. If urgent contact senior reg on call. Write pinkie. 

    CP and High Risk Clinic -  S13. Leonie on ext 5033

    Developmental - Greta on ext 5535. Own referral form to S6. 

    Endocrine - S27. Ext 5002 (diabetes separate 5035). Write pinkie.

    ENT - S24. 5386. Write pinkie and leave in file. 

    Eye Clinic - S21. Write pinkie and phone Sr. Jacobs 5026. No eye tests for school kids. 

    Genetics - S27. Write pinkie ext 5002. 

    GIT - S27. Discuss with GIT senior reg. Bookings at ext 5002. 

    Haem/Onc - G1. Discuss with senior reg ext 5076.

    ID - A11. Discuss with senior reg ext 5613. 

    Neurology - Epilepsy, Muscle, Neurocutaneous and general neurology different clinics. Discuss with senior reg ext 5289. 

    Psychiatry - DCAP but have a clinic in S27. Referral form to fax or on call reg. 

    Renal -  S27. Call Gail (secretary) in E2 ext 5032. 

    Respiratory - S20. Call senior reg. Book at ext 5265. 

    Surgical - Spinal Defects, Gynae, Ortho, Neurosurgery and general surgery. S19. All booked at ext 5400

    Urology - S27. Central bookings ext 5851.


    Multidisciplinary Clinics

    Audiology - S24 ext 5264. 

    Dental - ext 5122

    Dietician - S4. Leonie on ext 5033. If urgent can phone dietetics dept.

    OT - S10 ext 5038. Green referral form. Long waiting list. May refer to local clinic so please check address and contact details, ask parent’s for nearest clinic and document on form.  

    Physio - S13. Leonie on ext 5033

    Speech -  S24 ext 5264. Long waiting list. May refer to local clinic so please check address and contact details, ask parent’s for nearest clinic and document on form 

    Stomatherapy – ext 5363. Manage all PEGs. Can send straight up to clinic or ext 5363. 


    How to Admit a Patient 

    If you think a patient needs admitting there are a few ways to go about it...

    1. Take to S12 triage with a pinkie and ask the Medical Officers if they will see. NB. If emergency eg. actively fitting then take to Med Reg. (also in S12)
    2. Do full clerking notes, write a blueboard (prescription) and either book a bed in appropriate ward (see above) with the ward registrar or take to S11 and speak to reg. 

    Patients are admitted to S11 for maximum 48 hours. If they need to be in for longer than that then they will be transferred to a B ward or E2 if they have specialist needs. 

    Make sure that all patients you admit have a care plan (as appropriate) and you have made clear what the admission is for/what needs to be done. You should then follow up your patients in the wards to check on progress and input to the ward team as necessary. Please make sure patient has appropriate follow up dates. 



    Bloods - we have a phlebotomy service which will take routine bloods for us. Send the patient with a blood form (NB. Different form for genetic/metabolic bloods from normal clinical pathology) to the lab by telling them to follow the pink footsteps on the floor. Results are accessed on the new trakcare website (shortcut on desktop). Login is MP..... (your MP number) and password P..... (your persal number). Contact IT - Ibrahim Jacobs on ext 5786 to get registered. 


    Xrays and other radiology 

    Xrays and other radiology scans are booked on PHYUTIL (shortcut on desktop). Login is your persal number and password 1234. Xrays are then viewed on iSite Enterprise (shortcut on desktop). Login is your persal number and password you set when you register. Contact radiology department – ext 5396 to register. For xrays to be done on the same day you book on the computer and then send them to the radiology department next to the lifts on the ground floor. Non-urgent CT and MRI Scans should be booked on the computer then phone ext 5422 to book a date. For MRIs (which need general anaesthetic - almost all!) you also need to contact E2 on ext 5053/5153 to book the child in - they are admitted to E2 the day before the scan. 

    Nuclear Medicine - Milk scans etc. Fill in nuclear medicine form and phone  to book a date. 

    EEG - S25. Fill in neurophysiology form and phone ext 5289 to book. 

    ECG - Fill in ECG form and send child to S26. 

    Hearing - see Audiology above.

    Vision - see Eye clinic above



    The Red Cross Registrar will do calls in Med Reg and Mowbray. There is a document on your responsibilities whilst on call in med reg on the computer there which you should read. The rota will be sent out by the senior reg coordinators. If you are on call in Mowbray you should be there at 4.45 for handover. (or 11.45 at weekends) You can then go home if there is nothing happening and the MO on call will let you know if problems. 

    If you are on call in Med Reg you should be there from 4.45 (or 11.45 on weekends) and will stay until 11pm seeing any patients that the nurses triage red. If quiet there but busy outside you may also see “bench” patients to help out. You should be in touch with the intern at Groote Schuur and if new patients are admitted in the evening you should go to G4/G5 on your way home. You are on call for G4/G5 all night on the phone. 

    Weekend rounds are done in S11 - please contact the S11 registrar team. Ordinarily you will do 2 weekend rounds a month and you get first choice in which days but if it is a long/difficult month they may ask you to do an extra one or swap to suit the rota. 


    Local Areas 

    My quick guide to the areas of Cape Town to try and help it make sense in terms of who goes where... (only including what we see most commonly!) 

    Cape Town City Centre/Woodstock/Bonteheuvel/Milnerton/Table View - first stop Somerset Hospital (NSH). Mark Richards does a developmental clinic there on thursdays and they have OT/Physio/Speech. 

    Atlantis - Refers to Somerset. Mark Richards does a clinic there once a month inc developmental. 

    Langebaan/Saldanha/Vredenberg - Refers to Somerset. Mark Richards does a clinic there once a month inc developmental.

    Langa/Nyanga/Heideveld/Athlone/Gugulethu/Mowbray/Claremont - first stop Red Cross. 

    Mitchell’s Plain/Philippi/Strandfontein - first stop Mitchell’s Plain (MPH) for basic general paeds. Has Speech therapy. Other stuff comes to RXH. 

    Southern Peninsula - Wynberg/Retreat/Muizenberg/Fish Hoek - goes to Victoria Hospital. Has paeds ward but specialist stuff comes to RXH. 

    Khayelitsha - has it’s own hospital (KDH) for basic general paeds. Other stuff is referred to Tygerberg (TBH). However, previously came to RXH so lots of left overs! New issues should be referred to TBH. 

    Northern Suburbs and Winelands - Belville/Parow/Durbanville/Goodwood/Stellenbosch/Paarl - refers to TBH. 


    What do I do if I experience any form of discrimination the workplace?


    The University condemns harassment (sexual or otherwise), bullying, inhumane behaviour, belittling, embarrassing, frightening, humiliating, culturally insensitive, brutal and any demeaning behaviour including shouting or screaming. The University will take swift action against any individual or groups found guilty of any of the before-mentioned acts. Anyone who feels victimised or harassed is urged to report the incident to their training supervisor or any consultant, who can forward the complaints to the Registrar management committee. If the incident involves your training supervisor or a consultant then please feel free to contact the Registrar management committee directly. 

  • Settling in, in Cape Town

     Why do i need a bank account? |  Getting a sim card Other communication in Cape Town |  Shopping |  How do I register with UCT  Do I pay my own UCT fees?  |  When can I use my Medical Aid? | Will APFP pay for my travel costs to other hospitals?  |  Will APFP pay for courses and conferences? 

    I need to email home. Where can I access the internet?

    Once you have been issued with a UCT Third Party number, you will be access to access the free UCT wifi available in the PG Study area or the ICH library. Once you are registered as a UCT student you will also be able to log in with your student number and password. 

    Opening a bank account

    The APFP admin team can assist you with this. The admin team has an arrangement with Standard Bank at Riverside Mall, Rondebosch. The admin team will forward the necessary application docs to the Standard Bank branch and you will only need to go and pay the deposit and sign documentation. 

    Why do I need a bank account?

    Your stipend will be paid directly into your personal bank account. Without a bank account your stipend cannot be disbursed to you.

    Getting a sim card

    South Africa has good telecommunications systems. Vodacom, MTN and Cell C provide GSM-standard mobile voice and 3G data services, and all three have roaming agreements with providers worldwide. Check availability and charges with your provider.

    If you are roaming with a non-South African mobile phone and want to phone locally, you will be making an international call, and should dial your country’s exit code, the South African country code (27), and ignore the first 0 in the local area code.

    The RICA (Regulation of Interception of Communication Act) law requires all cellphone SIM cards to be registered. If you will be buying a new SIM card here it will need to be RICA-registered before it can be activated on the cellular networks. Your sim card can be purchased and Rica’ed at either Pep stores or Shoprite supermarket in Mowbray. You must provide your full name and surname, your passport and a proof of address letter that the APFP admin team will supply.

    Other communication in Cape Town

    Telkom is the national fixed-line provider. Telkom’s blue public phones operate on coins, while green public phones require Telkom phone cards, available at many shops and post offices. Most public phones advertise the nearest outlet. 

    Postage stamps are available at post offices and at some Cape Town Tourism visitor information centres.

    Numerous international courier companies also have facilities in South Africa.


    In the Mowbray area you will find Shoprite Supermarket on the Main Road where you will be able to purchase grocery & house goods. If you seeking more of a variety you will need to travel to Claremont. Mr Price & PEP stores are reasonable where clothes are concerned but if you do a little bit of shopping around you will become familiar with several other reasonably-priced shops in Claremont.

    • Most shops and businesses are open between 09h00 and 17h00 on weekdays and on Saturdays until 13h00.
    • Major malls tend to stay open later: up to 21h00 during the week, on weekends and on most public holidays.
    • Government agencies keep to limited weekday only hours, often closing around 15h00.
    • Most banks close at 15h30 weekdays, but are open on Saturday mornings (from around 09h00 to 11h00).
    • Muslim-owned businesses close between noon and 13h00 on Fridays.
    • Most stores, cinemas and restaurants are open on most public holidays. The exceptions are Christmas Day, December 25 and New Year's Day, January 1.
    How will I register with the University of Cape Town?

    It will be your responsibility to complete the online application process. The administrator will require the following to obtain clearance at the International Office for your registration at UCT:

    • Certified copy of Passport

    • Certified copy of Study Permit

    • Proof of Medical Aid membership

    After you have received clearance at the International Office, you will be required to go to the Health Sciences Faculty for registration. 

    Do I pay my own UCT fees?

    The APFP bursary includes the payment of your UCT registration fees.

    When can I get to use my Ingwe Medical Aid?

    Once you have been registered with Ingwe and you have received the Certificate of Membership, you will be able to use your Medical Aid immediately. It might still take a while before you receive your Medical Aid card but the certificate is your proof that you belong to your medical aid. Please consult the Ingwe website for a list of service providers as well as details of what the Ingwe medical aid covers.

    I need to travel to other hospitals. Will my travelling be paid for by the APFP?

    No, the stipend should be used for travel expense even if it is to attend other hospitals as part of training. 

    There are courses and conferences that I am interested in attending> Will APFP provide funding? 

    APFP provides funds towards course and conference attendance. Please be aware that this will be covered on a competitive basis so if you will gain a qualification (diploma) or present research the funding is more likely to be issued. You will need to submit an official funding request and ask your training supervisor to email a letter supporting your request. But please be aware that limited funding is available so the funding is disbursed on a “first come first served basis.”

  • Academic Matters

    Clinical meetings |  UCT library services |  PG Study area Useful web links |  UCT IT services |  Research process 

    Recommended list of reference books per sub-speciality

    Paediatric Physiotherapy

    1. Cardiopulmonary Physiotherapy in Trauma: An Evidence-based Approach

    2. Physiotherapy for Respiratory and Cardiac Problems: Adults and Paediatrics, 4e (Physiotherapy Essentials)

    3. Cerebral Palsy in Infancy

    4. Meeting the Physical Therapy Needs of Children

    5. The South African Cystic Fibrosis: Consensus Document

    Paediatric Infectious Diseases and Paediatric Neurology

    Infectious Diseases and Neurology team does not have any recommendations as the units have a little library in the department.

    Paediatric Rheumatology 

    1. Textbook of Paediatric Rheumatology, By James Cassidy and Ross Petty

    2. Oxford send book of Paediatric Rheumatology by Hellen Forster

    Paediatric Critical care:

    1. Paediatric critical care by Furham and Zimmerman 

    2. Rogers textbook of Paediatric critical care

    3. Critical care study guide

    Clinical meetings

    You are welcome to attend the following clinical meetings (providing that permission has been granted by your training supervisor):

    Day: Tuesday morning
    Venue: Pola Pasvolsky Lecture Theatre (D3), Red Cross War Memorial Children’s
    Time: 08:00–09:00


    Day: Wednesday morning
    Venue: Pola Pasvolsky Lecture Theatre (D3), Red Cross War Memorial Children’s
    Time: 08:00–09:00


    Days: Friday morning
    Venue: Pola Pasvolsky Lecture Theatre (D3), Red Cross War Memorial Children’s
    Time: 08:00–09:00.


    UCT Library services

    An UCT library is located on the 7th floor of the ICH building. As a registered UCT student you will be able to check out books at the library. You will, however, have to wait until you receive your UCT student card to do this.  

    Ms Dilshaad Brey (Subject Librarian for Paediatrics and Child Health) forwards notices of training (e.g. Introduction to EndNote for Windows) that takes place at the ICH library or the Health Sciences Library at the UCT Medical School. She will, also, send notices alerting you wrt new books available in the ICH Library.The APFP admin team will forward these notices to you.

    Library websites:


    PG Study area

    The Postgraduate Study area is situated on the 2nd Floor of the ICH Building at the Red Cross War Memorial Children’s Hospital, i.e. next to the APFP admin office. This area is open 24hours/7 days. The postgraduate study area is a scholarly common room for use by postgraduate students at master’s and doctoral level (including Registrars and Senior Registrars).  It will provide a peaceful atmosphere where postgraduates can work on their articles or theses. The area offers, like a library, workspace that is not dedicated, cannot be reserved or personalized in any way.  

    Useful web links


    UCT IT services

    The UCT IT Helpdesk can be contacted at the following:

    Email: icts-helpdesk@uct.ac.za
    Telephone: 021 - 650 4500

    Experience has taught us that IT will respond much faster when you send an email. You may be holding for quite a while if you call directly to the IT helpdesk.

    Keep your student number close at hand when contacting the call centre.

    Process for undertaking research at Red Cross War Memorial Children’s Hospital 

    A.  Submission to the SCAH Research Office 


    Geanine Hopley
    Department of Paediatrics and Child Health
    Room 3.16
    3rd Floor,
    ICH Building
    Red Cross War Memorial Children's Hospital

    Email: geanine.hopley@uct.ac.za 
    021 - 686 0086
    021 - 689 1287

    1. The researcher submits to our office: 

    • 1 hard copy of the covering letter addressed to the departmental research committee (SCAH DRC) chair, Assoc. Prof. Brenda Morrow; a synopsis and research proposal as well as any supporting documentation (e.g. consent form, information sheet, data collection sheet etc.)
    • 1 electronic copy of the above documentation.
    • If applicable, a hard copy and electronic copy of the budget should be included in the submission and, if applicable, a contract should also be submitted.
    • A hard copy of the signed Ethics form should be included in the submission (see attached form FHS013). 
    • If funding is involved, the new electronic C1 (Clearance) process should be followed.*Please see NB notice below re: new C1 process.
    • The researcher should also please include in their submission 2 - 4 suggestions for reviewers. While we will consider the researcher’s reviewer suggestions, the DRC Chair allocates reviewers and may choose other people than those recommended by the PI. Please note that anonymity between PI and reviewer should be maintained.  

    2.  Our office will then send the proposal for departmental review (a reviewer is appointed by the SCAH DRC chair
         or deputy chair). 

    Please note that the MINIMUM amount of time allocated for departmental review is 2 weeks and that the departmental review process may well take longer to finalize. Researchers are therefore encouraged to submit their proposals for departmental review well in advance of their selected FHS HREC submission date. (Please see attached 2015 FHS HREC submission and meeting dates.)

    3.  Once the proposal is approved by the reviewer, the Ethics form is given to the SCAH DRC chair/deputy chair to sign off.

    4.  Our office will then contact the researcher to advise that the proposal has received SCAH DRC approval and that they
         may now collect the SCAH DRC signed form from our office and submit to the FHS HREC for ethics approval.



    B.  Submission to the Faculty of Health Sciences Human Research Ethics Committee (FHS HREC)

    Please submit the completed submission packs (hand-delivered or registered mail) to the:

    Submit to: c/o Ms Lamees Emjedi
    Human Research Ethics Committee
    E 52 Room 24
    Old Main Building
    Groote Schuur Hospital
    Telephone: 27 - 21 - 406 6338
    Administrators contact: nosi.tsama@uct.ac.za or shuretta.thomas@uct.ac.za
    Invoicing queries: sumayah.ariefdien@uct.ac.za 

    Note: An electronic copy of your new application should always be available on request from the administrators.

    Researchers must ensure that they check the Administrative Forms web page to make certain that they are using the current version of the forms  http://www.health.uct.ac.za/research/humanethics/forms

    1.  The researcher should make certain that the Ethics form has been signed by their HoD before submitting to the FHS
         HREC. Please note that the PI and HoD signature cannot be the same.

    2.  Please see the attached Ethics forms (FHSH013hlp; FHS014 and FHS015hlp) for information as to what is required by
         the FHS HREC when submitting to them for approval.

    C.  Submission to Hospital (RXH)

    1. The letter of application, research proposal and the copy of Ethics approval must be emailed to the office of Dr Booysen (tony.booysen@westerncape.gov.za), Chair of the Hospital Research Committee at G2 Management Suite. 
    2. Dr Booysen’s office will send the researcher a Research Proposal Summary form for completion which will need to be returned to Dr Booysen.
    3. Only after the approval from hospital management has been obtained can the research project or clinical trial be conducted at Red Cross War Memorial Children’s Hospital.

    *Please note that the Faculty of Health Sciences has launched a new electronic C1 form that will replace the paper form. There are some changes to the submission process that accompany this – please read the attached notice for more detail.

    From 1 Feb 2014 researchers may ONLY use the new electronic form.

    Please familiarise yourself with the new form and associated process.

    For queries about the new electronic C1 form process, please contact Carlette Hlungwani (carlette.hlungwani@uct.ac.za) or Yolande Harley (yolande.harley@uct.ac.za).

    Please contact Geanine Hopley (Department of Paediatrics and Child Health's Research Administrator) for the current supporting forms.